Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Meatless Monday with Mindy #9 Wild Rice with Apricots and Pecans

Welcome to the 9th installment of Meatless Monday with Mindy!

Ever have one of those days where you just don't have a clue what just ran over you?  That was me this Monday.  Sunday was Easter and we had our daughter and SIL over for the day for an Easter meal followed by visiting my brother and his family and sharing dessert in the evening.  Easter Sunday was a nice day filled with good food and great fellowship with family.  

Monday.....well that was a different story.  I hit the ground running and didn't stop until 10:30 PM.  Our daughter came by after work and she and I attended a nutritional meeting at The Chiropractic Spine Center. But before we whisked off, we heated up some left-overs from our Easter meal and other items in the fridge and managed to pull off a very filling and nutritional Meatless Monday.


Here is a picture of my plate. Left to right clockwise is: Wild Rice with Apricots and Pecans, Lentil Corn Salad, Mashed Sweet Potato and Green Beans




The Lentil Corn Salad was a deli delight that I picked up from the Mustard Seed store.  I am for sure going to try and duplicate this salad. It would make an awesome filling for vegetarian tacos!



The mashed sweet potatoes was just that.  We microwaved sweet potatoes for sweet potato biscuits that we made for Easter and this was the left-over meat that we didn't use. It was good just plain.

The green beans I have made for a gazillion years.  I used to make it with ham, potatoes, onions and seasonings and any variation thereof, depending on what I had on hand. For Easter I just added onion as we had "deviled potatoes" as an appetizer and I didn't want potatoes twice. So I omitted potatoes and the ham.

The Wild Rice with Apricots and Pecans was a recipe from library called Power Foods Cookbook by Weight Watchers PointsPlus R


This recipe serves 6

Wild Rice with Apricots and Pecans

1 cup wild rice (I used 2 cups and mixed wood parched wild with typical dark wild rices)
2 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced (I used purple onion, thinly sliced)
1/2 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
3 TB coarsely chopped pecan (toasted tastes even better)
1 TB chopped fresh thyme
I added 1/2 half an apple sliced in matchsticks, which the book suggests

Cook the rice according to directions (1 cup rice to 2 cups water).
Meanwhile, whisk together orange zest and orange juice, honey, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the cooked rice, scallions or onions, apricots, pecans and thyme and toss to combine.  Serve hot or at room temperature. 

Easy Peasy!!


This was very good. I did not double the dressing and found it good, however you could double the dressing if you wanted and it would have a more intense orange flavor.  We liked it just like this.

Oh and if any of you are WW Point Plus counters, following this recipe without my changes (anything in parenthesis) is 4 PointsPlus value for 2/3 cup.

Share what you did for Meatless Monday. 


Click below to add your link so we can see what you're doing for Meatless Monday.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made Southwest twice baked potato with Tofu. It was good if you like that kind of flavoring. We got the recipe from the Forks over Knives cookbook.

Barbara P said...

Yum!

Barbara @ ImagesInBloom

Jenny said...

I ate with you! So I had some of the same leftovers! They were yummy. The one left-ver I had that you didn't was the other Lentil Salad I made from Dreena Burton's "Let Them Eat Vegan!".

Linda said...

I'll try this recipe this weekend Mindy. It looks really good! I like the new blog. Nice pics too!

The Howell Blessings said...

I LOVE southwest flavoring, but I cannot have soy. I have that cookbook, so I'll look that up and see what I can substitute! Thanks

The Howell Blessings said...

Thanks Linda. I hope you let me know how you like it.

The Howell Blessings said...

That lentil salad was good too. I must try it with all the ingredients it called for too. Bet that would be good too :)

Linda said...

Mindy, I tried this a week ago Saturday. It was very, very good. I ate it for lunches throughout the week as well! Loved it!

The Howell Blessings said...

I'm glad you liked it!