Monday, April 15, 2013

Meatless Monday with Mindy #10 Guacamaya Sweet Potato

Welcome to the 10th installment of Meatless Monday with Mindy.

My apologies for not posting last Monday. It was one of those days that got away from me. All good things, but I went to bed without taking a single picture or making a meal. (I did eat, just left-overs)

I wanted to share with you a quick and easy and very satisfying lunch meal that I made for my honey and myself.  I was inspired by the Alexia brand Saute Sweets I used to buy. Seems I can hardly find it anymore, but it had roasted sweet potatoes with black beans, sweet corn, red bell peppers and onions and came with a olive oil seasoning packet that had a chipotle seasoning mix in it.

I absolutely love that flavor combination. So I thought I'd try to duplicate it with my own version. I may still tweak this a little more, but my first try was seriously good.  I'd love to hear your feed back and suggestions in my comments box!

I'm calling this Guacamaya Sweet Potato

Ingredients:

Two medium sized sweet potatoes
1 TB olive oil
1/2 of a medium size onion
1 small red pepper, sliced thin, I used the snack kind.
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 frozen corn, thawed
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ( or more) of your favorite chili powder. I used chili powder with lime
1/4 tsp dried cilantro, or 11/2 tsp fresh
salt to taste


I did not take the time to roast, or even bake in the oven, these sweet potatoes.  I nuked them. It took about 5 minutes for 2 medium to large sized sweet potatoes, so this will vary depending on what size you use and the power on your microwave.

  This was lunch, and if any of you reading this have read my posts in the past, you'll remember I don't do well with planning or fixing lunches.  So, this is HUGE for me! Except that it wasn't!  This was so quick and easy I wonder why I've had such a mental block with preparing lunches this whole time!  Mental shift for me!

Back to the story.  While you are nuking your potato, slice 1/2 of a small (to medium) onion into strips as well as a small red pepper. Sauté the onion in about 1 TB of hot olive oil until they began to turn brown (Can I just say how much I LOVE this smell!)


I got so carried away with this wonderful smell that I forgot to take pictures of the next step!

 Once the onions are beginning to brown, pull yourself away long enough to add the rest of the ingredients.  Just dump and Saute all this lovely goodness together.

By now your sweet potatoes will be done (unless you're increasing the number of potatoes to feed a crowd, in which case you'll be increasing the other ingredients too but then you already know this and can I make this sentence any longer than it already is?)

Take your sweet potatoes out, slice them long ways and push in on both ends to smoosh the potato.  Then take a fork and fluff the innards to pull out all that gorgeous orange flesh. 


Divide all the goodies in the skillet between these two potatoes, salt to taste and enjoy!


If you are like I was when I was working full time during the day, you'd be thinking, "Mindy it looks good, but I work!"  No worries.  Make your filling the night before and put in the refrigerator. For work, take a firm potato, already washed, and pack half the filling into a small container.  Nuke your potato at work (one usually only takes about 3 minutes) and then heat your filling up for a minute on high.  Voila, a good, hot, healthy meal that takes less time to fix and eat than a frozen meal and less expensive than buying that "healthy" salad at your closest fast food joint.

Still not convinced?  Then save this for dinner. Fix a salad to make this a full meal and dark chocolate covered strawberries for dessert! Doesn't get any better than this!

What did you do for Meatless Monday?

Let's do a blog hop!!  Share what you are doing for Meatless Monday's

First time ever doing a Blog Hop or need a refresher?? This short video gives you everything you need to know about Blog Hops and will walk you through posting the correct link:

 Remember to add a specific post, not your main page to the blog hop. To ensure your correct post is linked to the Blog Hop and is not deleted from the Blog Hop, please watch the 3min tutorial.
Click on the little inlinkz button on the bottom here to get started!

All bloggers love comments. Please be kind and visit other blogs posted and leave a comment.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

My Monday had lentil burgers and homemade fries and green beans. And the best part was - i didn't have to think of what to cook, 'cause my awesome mommy planned out the meal and made it!

The Howell Blessings said...

Thanks for supplying the buns!

Anonymous said...

Usually I don't read post on blogs, but I wish to say
that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do so!
Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, very nice article.

Anonymous said...

I like the valuable info you provide for your articles.
I will bookmark your weblog and test once more right here frequently.
I'm somewhat certain I'll be told a lot of new stuff right here!
Best of luck for the next!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us valuable information to work
on. You have done a marvellous job!