Monday, October 21, 2013

Meatless Monday with Mindy #31 Golden Austrian Cauliflower Cream Soup

Welcome to the 31st installment of Meatless Monday with Mindy

I am reading the book Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman, MD. This book is packed full of interesting and compelling information about our health. The main principal of the book is to educate the reader that for both optimal health and weight loss, we must consume a diet with a high nutrient-per-calorie ratio. But in order to for this to work, we must understand this key concept and learn to apply it.  Dr. Fuhrman goes into great detail to explain these principals in a way the average Joe (or Josephine) can understand.  Dr. Fuhrman then provides several recipes as well as 2 sample 7-day menus, one for vegetarian and one for non-vegetarian eaters.  I am sharing one of his favorite personal recipes tonight. After making this soup, I can see why this is a reader favorite as well.

 Let me just pause a moment to tell you that I am not being compensated in any way for telling you about this book. However, I highly encourage anyone who is fed up with on-again, off-again dieting, or anyone who has chronic health issues to read this book. It could seriously change your life.

The soup that I made for this week's Meatless Monday is rich in nutrients and fiber and is rated amongst the highest with the members of Dr. Fuhrman's website . Enjoy!


Golden Austrian Cauliflower Cream Soup


1 head of cauliflower, cut into pieces
3 carrots, coarsely chopped
1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
2 leeks, coarsely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons of Dr. Furhman's VegiZest or a no-salt seasoning (I used Mrs Dash)
2 cups of carrot juice
4 cups of water
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup of raw cashews
5 cups of chopped kale or spinach




The title to this soup is longer than making the soup itself.  Once you cut all your veggies, the rest is as easy as 1, 2, 3!


1. Set aside the cashews and kale (or spinach) and place all the rest of the ingredients in a large pan or dutch oven.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender. 




2. If you are using Kale instead of spinach, you'll need to steam the kale until tender. If you're using spinach, sit down for a few minutes and rest your feet. 

3. In a food processor or high speed blender, blend two-thirds of the soup liquid and vegetables with the cashews until smooth and creamy.  Return to the pot and stir in the steamed kale or spinach.





That's it! It really is that easy.



Thanks to my sweetie for getting these yummy looking shots for me.

Thanks to The Recipe Renovator for hosting the Meatless Monday blog hop.
Official Meatless Monday Blogger 

4 comments:

Dave said...

I liked it a lot. Very good.

Kim said...

Hi Mindy! That's quite an endorsement. I'm very, very curious to try this recipe, as it is VERY DIFFERENT that a typical soup I'd make for myself at home.

I just looked up ingredients to make Mrs. Dash, too. Good news - I have everything already sitting in my drawer. :)

Will be picking up cauliflower and carrot juice on the way home from work, and I'll be trying this tonight.

Thank you for sharing on the MM blog hop!

[K]

Mark Young said...

I'm a big Dr. Fuhrman fan - I'll definitely try this soup.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your great post. I've learnt some important things from your blog. I'll bookmark your blog for future visit. keep posting good contents please. Thanks again.

kimera