Monday, November 18, 2013

Meatless Monday - Lentil Vegetable Soup

Welcome to the 33rd installment of Meatless Monday with Mindy.

It has been a very busy 2 weeks since I last posted a Meatless Monday article.  Our daughter was going into labor on Monday November 3rd. I had begun composing my pictures as she and I began chatting via text where she was filling me in on what was taking place at her house. Needless to say I couldn't concentrate, therefore, I never posted that day.  

It took our daughter 3 full days, but our baby girl delivered her first child to us making us grandparents for the second time.

Since then, I've been spending time at her house assisting in any way I can, including making meals.
When I get home, I'm either duplicating what I made at her house, or using recipes straight out of cook books. This recipe is a result of a tired brain. I simply opened up a book I own, chose a recipe where I had all the ingredients and went for it.

Thankfully, it was wonderful and wonderfully easy to make.  

This Lentil Vegetable Soup came from the book 'Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker' by Robin Robertson, and although it calls to be made in a slow cooker, I made it on the stove top in a dutch oven. I tweaked it ever so slightly, by omitting the 1 cup frozen edamame or Lima bean.  I didn't have Lima beans and I don't "do" edamame as it's soy based, and I can't have soy. I also used fresh kale instead of frozen spinach.

This is so easy to make. The instructions are to combine all the ingredients, except the liquid smoke if you opt to use that (and I recommend you do). Add the liquid smoke at the very end when adjusting your seasonings.




Lentil-Vegetable Soup
(The way I made it)
Serves 4 generously

1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
6 cups vegetable broth (or you can use water)
1 14-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup chopped, packed fresh kale
1 TB low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)



Combine all the ingredients (except the optional liquid smoke) to dutch oven. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook on medium-low heat until veggies are tender and lentils are done, about 40 minutes.

(If you want to use a slow cooker, cook on low for 6 to 8 hours)

Add the liquid smoke, if using. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve hot.  Enjoy!




No comments: