Monday, June 23, 2014

Meatless Monday - Quick and Easy Fajita's!

Welcome to the 41st installment of Meatless Monday with Mindy!

My apologies for being absent for so long. I promise, I've been eating meatless on Monday's and pretty much every day of the week for going on one and half years now.  But lately my creative juices have been almost non-existent. That, plus I have a few new cookbooks that I've been trying out and using new recipes from. 

With that said, I wanted to share with you all the quickest, easiest and most tasty "recipe" I've made recently without a recipe. I was in the mood for Mexican food, had fresh colored sweet peppers from Costco (2 of each color) that I knew would need using soon AND a new hot pepper plant that I acquired from the farmers market had a pepper ready to harvest that I was anxious to try.  




I sliced up some onion, half of each color of bell pepper, opened a can of black beans, rinsed and drained them and used some brown rice I had in the freezer (I'm totally digging making a big batch of rice and any type of beans, lentils lately, and freezing up 2 cup portions ready for anything). I added about 1 tsp of Wildtree's Chipotle Lime Rub in the onion/pepper mix.  I heated up the bean and rice,  adding the Golden Cayenne pepper I harvested from the plant I bought at the farmers market. I used low-carb tortillas to wrap all this up along with freshly chopped romaine lettuce.  





Water or oil sauté the onions and peppers together.  You can add green peppers if you want, but I am not a fan of the green ones. If you don't have the Wildtree blend, add chipotle pepper and about a tsp of fresh lime juice.




 I heated the rice and beans with a little water and that awesome Golden Cayenne pepper. If you don't have rice made up ahead of time, just add the beans and pepper to freshly cooked brown rice at the end of the cooking cycle for the rice.








Lay out a low carb tortilla (or any tortilla of your choice), add about 1/2 cup of the rice/bean mixture to the center of the tortilla. Add a generous portion of onions and peppers, top with ribbons of romaine lettuce (any lettuce, except iceberg works here).  Serve with a side of fruit and ¡es facilisimo!
 





2 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds good! Hubby has tried 2 small bites of that pepper and is scared to go any farther up!

Dave said...

Delicious